Dev Blog- Colonial Sea Trader- Perspective view!

There is one major thing that I accomplished this week. I’ve been at it for a while, and finally, I present to you, perspective view!

The most difficult part of this was getting the minimap to look correct, which involved considerable rewriting of code.

The astute among you might also notice a new button on the lower left. I’ll leave the exact purpose of this button a mystery, but it will be the major project for the next week at least that I’m working on.

Not a lot else to really give you for now. Stay tuned next week for more!

If you haven’t yet, feel free to like me on Facebook, join my Google Group, subscribe to my Sub Reddit, or follow me on Twitter, where you are likely to get frequent updates! You can also subscribe to the Old Ham Media YouTube Channel, where I post frequent videos showing the progress of gameplay and more! Finally, follow me on Twitch, and help me develop games!

Dev Blog- Colonial Sea Trader- Playing with video, improving map UI

This week I tried something I’ve never done before, posting a video blog entry. I won’t do this every week, but I will try and do it at least once a month. In the process of doing this, I found a lot of issues that I hadn’t otherwise noticed.

There are a few things that I pointed out that I know about and haven’t had a chance to resolve yet, but I discovered a few key issues while doing the vlog. The biggest thing was the minimap image looked absolutely horrible. After thinking about it for a few days, I came up with a new approach which is much faster, and looks better compared to what it did before.

I’m still not really happy with the minimap overall, but I haven’t figured out what to do about it, yet. It is coming, however, and I expect to be fully there soon! I’m looking at pixel scaling algorithms, or perhaps a custom shader to improve the look of it somewhat, not sure what I’ll do yet.

I found it quite interesting at how fast the game plays in the build version. I think I want to slow it down actually, which is interesting because when I play it in the Unity window, it runs much slower. Still, I’ll have to come up with a better way, stay tuned!

I also spent some time learning about how to import Emojis, it turns out that my text rendering engine can support emojis, and thus all I have to do to add them is to get the data in to the right format to use, and import them. I haven’t gotten there yet, but when I do, it’ll improve some use. And no, I’m not talking about using smilies, see my previous blog for what I’m talking about using.

This week I’m going to sit down and do the price list. I’ve got it started, it’s time to get it to a working state. This might be delayed if I decided to do Ludum Dare again, but I should have time notwithstanding to finish this price list!

If you haven’t yet, feel free to like me on Facebook, join my Google Group, subscribe to my Sub Reddit, or follow me on Twitter, where you are likely to get frequent updates!