Dev Blog- Sea Trading Game- Continuing goods editor, setting up more menus, doing “homework”.

This is another week of lots of behind the scenes changes, although there are a few things that are a bit more visible as well. The main thing that I’ve been doing is setting up the UI to be ready for a few new menus that I’m adding, including price lists, although I haven’t actually made said menus yet.

The items added were the 4 buttons on the left, of which one of them was the existing level goals button. One that particularly gave me troubles was the price lists button. I didn’t like the original one very much, and someone had the suggestion, why not just use the currency icon? I decided, sure, why not?

Well, while doing so, I decided I didn’t like my current currency icon, and have been struggling to find a new one. In doing so, I learned a lot about Unicode support and Emojis. I selected a set of Emojis that were interesting, and added them as supported characters in my fonts. I have been using TextMesh Pro for my game’s text, which made that interesting. I had to pick a set of Unicode characters that I wanted to include. Of these, not all were supported, but I am considering including the following in some ways, which I haven’t fully determined yet. These are ♁♂☜☝☞☟☠☡☢☣☤☥☦☧☨☩☪☫☬☭☮☯☸☹☺☻☼☽☾☀☁☂☃☄★☆🌣🌞⛅🌤🌥🌦🌧🌨🌩🌪⛈🌬🌫☁⛆🌢☂☔🌂⛱❄❅❆🎐☃⛄⛇⚿🔑🔏🔐🔒🔓⚓⛵🚣💎🔪🕭🕯🕰⚙⛭⛮⛏⛓🔨🔧🔩💍📕📖📗📘📙📚📜💹📈📉📊🗠💰💱💸¤¤❄❅❆✨❇❈⛪⛩🕌🕍🕋🛐🌐🌰🌱🌽🌾🌿🍀🍁🍂🍃🌵🌲🌳🌴🐴🦄🐮🐷🐪🦏🐘🐂🐃🐄🐎🦌🐐🐏🐑🐖🐇⚖⚔™✉⛺⛵. Text Mesh Pro doesn’t support color fonts so far as I can tell, which really limited the characters that I can find.

Beyond that, I’ve been continuing work on my editor. It’s still very much a viewer, but here is what I have so far!

It’s probably never going to be a pretty dialog, but it should do what is intended, or so I hope.

Lastly, I finally did what I’ve been needing to do for some time, I played the classic game “Pirates!” for “homework”. It was quite interesting to see how that game plays, and while it is to at least some extent different, the trading and feel of the game are similar to what I’m hoping to achieve, albeit with less story and piracy. One key thing that I’m going to add as a result is a journal of your various major events, which should be coming soon.

Goals for the next week include getting the editor to view everything, including loading any arbitrary files, hopefully adding new goods, and adding some of the UI elements, most likely a “Quit”, and possibly other related things.

If you haven’t yet, feel free to like me on Facebook, join my Google Group, subscribe to my Sub Reddit, or follow me on Twitter, where you are likely to get frequent updates!

Dev Blog- Colonial Sea Trader- New Website, adding livestock, and making it easier to add new goods!

For some time, I’ve been working on a new website. I’ve wanted to leave the temporary home of my Amateur Radio blog that for the last year has hosted my game development efforts, but is is certainly time to move on. As of today, this is the new home to all of my game development efforts! It will host my weekly development blog that I have used to inform those of you following my work over the course of the last year as to what I’m up to! The main site also features more information about my game, which will be gradually improved as I proceed.

I’m working on a few other ways to reach out better to people who are interested, including a Discord, doing more videos, possibly an occasional video dev blog to show what I’m up to, etc. Let me know what you would prefer, and I’ll consider it!

The main direct progress on Colonial Sea Trader this week was working to improve livestock. Among other things, I set a preference, both on an individual need as well as a per city/ good bases to prefer to use certain goods over others. Now, for instance, Cows can provide food, but their use for food is discouraged, instead preferring to rely on other forms of food, so that they can increase in numbers and make milk.

I also added quite a few livestock, including Cows, Horses, Llamas, Donkeys, and Goats. I improved them such that they all prefer certain types of climates, where they will grow better.

The main thing I plan on working on this week isn’t directly related to the game, but rather a tool to make adding new goods easier, and do verification of such goods. Right now, I’ve been making all of my changes in to an XML file, but that’s increasingly becoming annoying, an example of which can be seen below.

I hope that making a tool will make it a bit easier for me, and a lot easier for someone who isn’t as familiar with the game as I am. It doesn’t look like much now, and probably won’t look super fancy ever, but it will make the work of adding goods far easier. I’m planning on releasing this tool to the public at some point, likely with the next test build that I release, if I can get the tool done in time. I’m also going to try to allow for light modding with the build, which will just be tweaking the goods, starting conditions, etc. Lastly, I’m considering working on a tool to create custom maps, which I will try and make available.

If you haven’t yet, feel free to like me on Facebook, join my Google Group, subscribe to my Sub Reddit, or follow me on Twitter, where you are likely to get frequent updates!