I know that I said last week that I wasn’t going to have much time for game development for the week, and to not expect many updates. The truth is, I found more time than I thought I would have, and ended up doing quite a bit with that time. This is the latest version of what I have.
I’m still playing with the clouds in particular, I have a few things in mind, will see how they work out. This is still an early test, so let me know what you think!
I also changed the way the wind is shown on the graph. It’s still slower than I would like, I’m trying to figure out how to improve that, but it is much more visible, and I’m happy with the direction it is going. Along with that, I started using more realistic wind patterns, basically I set up the trade winds, with a bit of noise.
It can be seen on both of the previous images, but I’ve been working on bitmasking, basically making the land not look so smooth. Here’s a closer up picture to show how it looks. I totally scrapped the system from last week, and went with a shader based approach, which I document exactly how I did it on the Game Development Stack Exchange.
Movement is no longer easy to do diagonally if both primary directions have land. As there isn’t a visible gap between them, it seemed the appropriate thing to do.
I also fixed a bunch of small things, too many and small to enumerate them all. Sufficeth to say the game is better than before.
The way I generated the biomes allows for a slight seasonal variation, although I don’t think the seasonal variation is quite what it should be. I’m working on how to make it work best still, but it should be cool when I can get it worked out. It’s a task for this week, but lower priority.
This week I’m planning to get the other half of biome creation figured out, namely getting the moisture part done. When I’m finished, we should have something like deserts being formed, which should look really cool if I can get it all figured out! Beyond that will be numerous speed improvements, the game doesn’t work as well as I’d like when fully zoomed out. I’m also trying to work out a more seamless noise, there are still visible seams if you know where to look.
Thanks to Jon Gallant, BTW, for his tutorial on world creation, which I used in some part to complete. He’s got some great games, including one in the work called GORB that I’ll highly recommend when complete.